Inspector Starter Kit for Flow Tests | Fire Hydrant & Hose
- Combines the most common flow testing tools into a single kit—including a pitot gauge, test caps, and pressure gauges
- Ideal for fire hydrants, fire hose, and other water-flowing equipment
- Ships standard with a bleeder valve designed to protect pressure gauges against damage
- Upgrades include NIST certification and a fire hydrant nozzle
- Shipped from locations throughout the U.S. for rapid delivery
- Buy with PayPal or our one-step checkout
- Why choose this kit?
- What's in it?
- Which gauge dial range do I need?
- What do I do with PSI readings from the pitot gauge?
The Inspector Starter Kit contains the tools you need for flow tests of the most common sizes of fire hydrants, fire hoses, and other water-flowing equipment. Every kit contains:
- Three brass test caps (3/4″, 1-1/2″, & 2-1/2″ NST)
- A pitot gauge handle with two blades
- Two analog pressure gauges in any of eight dial ranges
- A durable carrying case from Plano—a world-famous manufacturer of hard-shell cases for the outdoors
- A 43-1/3″ ft. roll of PFTE thread seal tape
This kit is ideal for those who conduct water flow tests on a wide range of outlets without the use of a fire hydrant flow elbow or digital gauges. Take a look at our other flow test kits if you:
- Usually test 2-1/2″ nozzles on fire hydrants and other 2-1/2″ MNST outlets (Inspector Hydrant Kit)
- Test any of the above with certified gauges or a fire hydrant flow elbow (Inspector Complete Kit)
- Need all of the above, digital gauges, and a fire pump tachometer (Inspector Fire Pump Team Kit)
Fire protection engineers, underwriters, and fire officials trust these Inspector Starter Kits to deliver easy and accurate flow tests of fire protection systems.
The Inspector Starter Kit is available in three models:
- The Basic Inspector Starter Kit (801)
- The Advanced Inspector Starter Kit (805)
- The Premium Inspector Starter Kit (806)
Upgrading to the Advanced or Premium kits adds a fire hydrant flow nozzle with 2-1/2″ National Standard Thread/National Hose (NST/NH). These 6″ nozzles straighten streams with a smooth-bore tube for high-accuracy readings at pressures between 10 and 56 PSI. The Premium kit also offers gauges that are:
- Easier to read with 3.2″ (instead of 2-1/2″) dials
- NIST (National Institute of Standards and Technology) traceable, with documentation explaining when and how the gauge was calibrated
The Premium kit also offers ultra-thin pitot gauge blades, including a notched blade designed to help users position the tube at the correct distance from an outlet.
For a summary of these differences (with differences in bold), see the table below.
|Kit||Use||Flow Nozzle||Test Cap(s)||Pitot Tube||Blades||Gauges||Bleeder||Case||Extras|
|Basic||Flow tests of 3/4″, 1-1/2″, & 2-1/2″ outlets needing full-range accuracy||Not included||3 brass test caps (3/4″, 1-1/2″, & 2-1/2″ NST)||1 pitot gauge tube with a round handle||2 straight pitot blades||2 liquid-filled pressure gauges with 2-1/2″ dials and 1% full-range accuracy||1 single-ball-valve bleeder||1 Plano small deluxe case||1 roll of PFTE thread seal tape|
|Advanced||Tests needing full-range accuracy and straight hydrant streams||1 fire hydrant flow nozzle (2-1/2″ NST)||3 brass test caps (3/4″, 1-1/2″, & 2-1/2″ NST)||1 pitot gauge tube with a hex handle||2 straight pitot blades||2 liquid-filled pressure gauges with 2-1/2″ dials and 1% full-range accuracy||1 double-ball-valve bleeder||1 Plano large deluxe case||1 roll of PFTE thread seal tape|
|Premium||Tests requiring full-scale accuracy, certified gauge calibration, and straight hydrant streams||1 fire hydrant flow nozzle (2-1/2″ NST)||3 brass test caps (3/4″, 1-1/2″, & 2-1/2″ NST)||1 pitot gauge tube with a hex handle||2 ultra-thin blades (straight & notched)||2 NIST-certified dry pressure gauges with 3.2″ dials and 1% full-scale accuracy||1 single-ball-valve bleeder||1 Plano large all-weather case||1 roll of PFTE thread seal tape|
Each gauge provided with this flow test kit is available in one of eight dial ranges. To prolong your gauge’s life, use the table below to choose a range that places your expected pressures at the center of the dial or in the mid-range. For example, inspectors testing outlets with 30 PSI of pressure should choose a 0-60 PSI gauge—or a 100 PSI gauge for 50 PSI test pressures. This table also provides each range’s major and minor graduations (the large and small tick marks along the dial’s face).
|Dial Ranges||Center of Dial||Mid-Range||Major #’d Graduations||Minor Graduations||Smallest Graduations|
Pitot gauges provide pressure readings in pounds per square inch (PSI). These readings can be used to estimate how fast water flows, in gallons per minute (GPM), using formulas or a pitot gauge theoretical discharge conversion table (like the one included on each hydrant flow nozzle). Used to convert PSI readings to GPM.
Conversion accuracy depends on an accurate measurement of outlet size and the nozzle or outlet coefficient. For more on how and why to convert PSI to GPM in pitot tests, read QRFS’s “Pitot Gauges: How Do I Calculate the PSI to GPM Conversion?”