What's in this flow testing kit?
Ideal for a range of fire flow tests requiring certified, high-accuracy gauges, this complete Flow test kit redirects flows, straightens streams, and delivers high-accuracy readings for professional results. Measure flows at fire hydrants, fire hoses, and nearly anything that discharges water with a kit that includes:
- Two 3-1/2 in. Ashcroft 1009AW gauges with 1% full-scale accuracy with quick disconnect fittings
- NIST calibration certificates for all measuring instruments
- Three test caps machined from solid brass (3/4 in., 1-1/2 in., and 2-1/2 in. NST x 1/4 in. NPT)
- A 45-degree fire hydrant flow elbow
- One stream-straightening fire hydrant flow nozzle
- One quick-disconnect double-ball-valve-bleeder
- One hex-shaped pitot gauge handles
- Two pitot blades: one ultra-thin straight and one ultra-thin notched
- A large carrying case from Plano (19 in. x 14-1/2 in. x 8 in. outer case dimensions) — a world-famous manufacturer of hard-shell cases for the outdoors
- Spare gaskets
- A 43-1/3 in. ft. roll of PTFE thread seal tape
This kit is ideal for contractors who need certifiably precise, easy-to-view measurements of water flow from a wide range of outlets.
Why choose this pitot gauge kit for flow testing?
This complete kit maximizes accuracy for users and minimizes inconvenience for nearby pedestrians and vehicles. This kit is ideal for two contractors working in tandem: one can use a test cap and gauge to measure static pressure while another takes pitot gauge readings from an open hydrant
Tools inside each kit make it simple to measure the flow rate at a 2-1/2 in. fire hydrant outlet:
- A 45-degree hydrant flow elbow diverts water away from passing cars or vegetation
- The fire hydrant flow nozzle straightens the stream, allowing for more precise readings
- An inspector places the pitot gauge in the path of flow and takes readings from the 3-1/2 in., NIST-certified gauge
The kit also features a ball-valve bleeder that can be used with the 3/4 in., 1-1/2 in., or 2-1/2 in. NST test caps. Combining these components with a pressure gauge allows for measurements of static pressure at a variety of orifices while protecting gauges against excess pressure.
Every one of these flow test kits includes two Ashcroft 1009AW pressure gauges, which boast:
- Large 3-1/2 in. dials
- 1% full-scale accuracy
- Stainless steel bodies and thread connections
- A dust-tight and water-resistant enclosure
- Shock-and-vibration-resistant PowerFlex‚ technology
- Vibration-dampening internal components
Which dial ranges should I choose?
The analogue gauges in this flow test kit is available in multiple dial ranges. To prolong your gauge’s life, choose a range that places your expected pressures at the center of the dial or in the mid-range. For example, for testing outlets with 30 PSI choose a 0-60 PSI gauge range or for testing outlets with 50 PSI choose a 100 PSI gauge range.
|Dial Ranges||Major #'d Graduations||Minor Graduations||Smallest Graduations|
What do I do with these readings?
Pitot gauges provide pressure readings in pounds per square inch (PSI). These readings can be used to estimate how fast water flows, in gallons per minute (GPM). Conversion accuracy depends on an accurate measurement of outlet size and the nozzle or outlet coefficient. For more on how and why to convert PSI to GPM in pitot tests, read the blow linked below.