This 2in. x 14in. Self-Adhesive Natural Gas Decal provides a reliable and clear way to label natural gas pipes. When installing a piping system, standards from the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) and the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ANSI) recommend that all pipes be labeled according to:
- The type of piping system
- The contents of the pipes
- The direction in which the contents of the pipes flow
These 2in. x 14in. self-adhesive gas pipe markers feature 1-1/4 'NATURAL GAS' lettering over a 14in. yellow background. The decals are constructed using glossy vinyl film, will withstand temperatures between -40F (4C) and 180F (82C), and are ideal for use on 2-1/2in. to 7-7/8in. pipes.
Where do I place this pipe marker?
2in. x 14in. Self-Adhesive 'NATURAL GAS' Decals tell technicians, firefighters, inspectors, and anyone working with the piping system that it contains potentially flammable or explosive natural gas. However, the labels do not include arrows to communicate the direction of gas flow.
2in. x 14in. Self-Adhesive 'NATURAL GAS' Decals should be installed on pipes between 2-1/2in. and 7-7/8in. in size at locations such as:
- Near valves and flanges
- Where a pipe changes direction (wherever elbows are used)
- On both sides of ceiling, wall, or floor penetrations
- At any line entry or re-entry point
- Every 25-50 on straight pipe runs
Are Kolbi pipe markers right for my piping system?
Piping labels that use black markings on yellow backgrounds are reserved for piping systems that carry inherently dangerous materials, including flammable or explosive gasses. These Style C Kolbi labels will fit pipes with an outer diameter between 2-1/2in. and 7-7/8in..
Note that a pipe's outside diameter is always larger than the pipe's nominal size or trade name.The outer diameter of a pipe may be a quarter-inch, half-inch, or three-quarters of an inch larger than the nominal size (or larger, if insulating materials are installed on the pipe's exterior).
After the pipe markers are applied, the piping system cannot drop below -40F (4C) or rise above 180F (82C), or the labels may fall off. During application, the piping system must be clean and dry and cannot measure above 50F (10C).
How do I apply these decals to my pipe?
Follow these steps to stick these Kolbi pipe markers to a natural gas pipe:
- Be sure that the surface of the pipe is clean, dry, and measures at or above50F (10C) before applying the label.
- Determine the normal point of approach, the angle the decals will likely be viewed from
- Remove the back film.
- Place the decals over the pipe and rub until you are confident it is securely attached.